LEDeG is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) registered in 1983 under the J&K Society Act. Since its inception, LEDeG’s mission has been to promote sustainable development of Ladakh which is in harmony with the traditional culture. LEDeG choose priority areas where it could be accountable for change, and work in partnership with target beneficiaries and stakeholders, setting ambitious targets to bring about improvement in these areas. LEDeG has been working in these fields since last 34 years and has been successful in achieving its goals. The work undertaken was appreciated and acknowledged and was therefore bestowed upon by numerous awards, such as:
• Right to Livelihood Award, also known as the Alternate Nobel Prize, in 1986.
• Sustainable and Participatory Development from the Danish Organization, Mellemfolkight
Samverke, in 1989.
• Second prize for outstanding contribution towards popularisation of solar photovoltaic
(SPV) programme by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy Sources, Govt. of India,
• Solar Energy Society India (SESI) NGO Award in 2005.
• LEDeG, with its partner SEED India, was declared Indian of the Year 2010 for Public Service.
Ladakh Ecological Development Group Ladakh.